Friday, June 6, 2014

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Last night, we tried a new drug. It apparently takes a little while to work, so it was a rough night, less rest than usual. I got more, but only because I got to sleep through a sleep cycle, wake up naturally, play the perfect wife and try to help Jeff go to sleep and then sleep for another sleep cycle. 

This morning I definitely feel like I'm getting a cold, I've got a sore throat and stuff. Taking care of myself, or at least trying to. 
Jeff was pretty mad that he got less sleep, and he only slept because he went back to taking the ambien in the middle of the morning. We're going to try something slightly different tonight, I think I figured out that when he feels my touch, that he feels safe. So tonight, we're going to try to get to bed early enough that I can be with him until he falls asleep, maybe even making him a sleepy-time playlist. 

I want to remember some other cool parts from yesterday. 
We went to the park to eat lunch and relax for a while. There, a dog joined us for lunch and begged us for sandwiches and raspberries- until its owners came and finally got it to follow them. It was pretty funny. Poor little Scout was complaining why he couldn't have a bite! 
We were also watching all the airplanes fly over. Big, small, four engines, two engines, Qatar spelled on the bottom, etc. There are so many more things to notice when you take the time to notice them.

Jeff spent some time alone yesterday while I was at work. He made his own dinner and Becky came over after work to check on him, and Chris (older brother) came over after he was done shooting an engagement session. We had a nice time hanging out, I think it got a little late for us though (but it was really good to see Chris, we hadn't seen him since before Jeff had his first episode). 

Today, we discovered that our kitchen sink drain somehow broke, so we're waiting for that to get fixed- our maintenance guy came over to take a look, but I don't think he has time to come back until tomorrow. 
We went to the park again this afternoon, watched some baseball practice, called some counseling centers to get started on that process and figure out where would be a good fit for Jeff. We missed the most important phone call of the day this morning, because we were both sluggish getting up, so we played phone tag with the people from Behavioral Health again. 

There is also a very tiny, very loud bird (probably a finch of some sort) around our apartment somewhere, and we named it "Pipsqueak". Pip, is not the Stravinsky bird! :)

This evening we finally planted our indoor/outdoor city garden after dinner. Cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper, spinach and butter crunch lettuce (sturdy lettuce). Most plants are inside, the lettuce is outside. Crafty Beaver sells some cute flower pots (we picked up supplies earlier this week). We want to try planting a few fruit seeds once we get our hands on some more. Our sunny window sill is full now though! Where will we fit more?!?

Thank you to everyone who was reassuring Jeff today, and also for helping us sort out important info with our healthcare. 

This post is soooo all over the place, too much effort to organize thoughts! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are getting sick Melissa. Hope you get over that soon. HOPE Jeff doesn't get it. If you feel worse, I can come up and help ..wash your hands a lot...try not to breathe on him..you are both susceptible because you're so tired.....I like your garden idea....very good vegetables you are planting. .Hope the medicine works better soon...Aunt Anne says to tell you hope Jeff gets better soon. She tried to write on the blog but couldn't. ..Take care..Keep posting...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually feeling better today. Jeff actually had it a few days ago, his nose was stuffy as few nights ago, but he's feeling better, too. He usually doesn't get colds very much, and his symptoms are super mild. It usually hits me like a semi-truck and I'm out, but I felt this one coming in time to make it milder.

    ReplyDelete